Most Common Workout InjuriesThe possibility for injuries often increases depending on what type of exercises your workout entails. There are certain parts of the human body that are more prone to injuries than others. Here are some of the most common injuries that can happen when you work out:
- Strained Back – This is the most common workout injury. If you sit for hours at a time at work or at home and haven’t worked out much, this injury can happen to you. When doing exercises, don’t just start at really heavy weights, work your way up gradually. And remember… always lift with your legs, not your back!
- Strained Shoulder –Overuse, poor posture, and/or bad form while working out can easily dislocate your shoulder or damage your rotator cuff. If you’re feeling pain on your shoulders take a break. Gradually strengthen your shoulders by doing shoulder presses, wall push-ups or use resistant bands/tubes.
- PCL/ACL Injury –these types of injuries are common in athletes, but if your workout involves jumping or changing direction rapidly, these type of knee injuries are definitely possible. A tear in your ACL or PCL often requires that you stay off of your feet for a few months. These types of injuries can be serious enough to need surgery.
- Runner’s Knee –This type of injury occurs when there is an irritation of the cartilage found under your kneecaps. This happens to a lot of runners.
- Achilles Tendonitis –This type of injury occurs when your tendons become irritated and tighten.
- Pulled/Torn Hamstring –These types of injuries are caused by having imbalanced, overly tight, or weak leg muscles.