Don't Skip Leg Day
Posted by Sean Sarantos on
Isn’t it funny how many memes and posts are out there talking about don't skip leg day and such, yet when you go to the gym the squats racks are usually empty or occupied by bicep curls! Finding folks that do legs consistently is just as hard as finding a rare pokemon in your back yard. If you’re new to leg day, it can be a bit overwhelming and embarrassing trying to make the commitment to it. Feeling like everyone is laughing or judging you because you can’t squat a brick-house is enough to make people stay away forever. But before you turn your back for good, try and remember some of the benefits that come with some stronger wheels:
- It helps take stress off your lower back. A weak butt puts more work on your lower back, which in turn can cause a whole chain reaction of problems for everything below the naval. Do some split squats and get that booty growing.
- Burn more fat. The larger muscles in the lower body burn more calories. All the push-ups, biceps curls and crunches in the world can’t compare to the benefits lower body exercises will have on the fat loss journey.
- Proper lower body training will help you maintain your flexibility, strength, and mobility as you get older. If you don’t like keeping father time away, by all means keep doing those curls.
- Barbell Squats - 4 sets x 6 reps
- Romanian Deadlifts - 3 sets x 10 reps
- Dumbbell Step Ups - 3 sets x 8 reps EACH leg
- Good Mornings - 3 sets x 8 reps
- Leg Extension Machine Triple Drop - 1 set x 15 reps - immediately increase weight slightly and perform 12 reps, immediately increase weight slightly and perform 10 more reps
- Standing Calve Raise Machine - 1 set x 15reps Toes Pointed Forward, 1 set x 15reps Toes Pointed Inward, 1 set x 15 reps Toes Pointed Outwards