If you’re looking to burn some SERIOUS calories, you might want to consider incorporating a spin class into your cardio regime! Spin intervals are a great way to keep your heart rate in the fat burning zone and add a little resistance on your legs. If you don’t have access to a spin CLASS don’t you worry, I have a spin workout all ready for you! This is a spin routine that I teach in my spin class and will burn (depending on your personal stats) anywhere from 400-550 calories in this 50 minute killer cardio session! (For me, it was about 525 calories). You do not need to complete the full 50 minutes if you are a beginner.
Before you get started, if you’ve never done spin before there are a few terminologies you should be familiar with.
- Climb- (high resistance, low speed)
- Sprints- (low resistance, high speed)
- Race Sprints- (low resistance, high speed, hover low over handles)
- Saddle- (your seat)
- In The Saddle- (your butt is on the seat)
- Out of the Saddle- (your butt is out of the seat)
- Flat/Base Speed- (medium speed, no resistance, like biking on flat ground)
Now that you are caught up on some terminology you’re ready to go! You don’t need a spin class for this workout, just create your playlist with the songs provided (songs correlate with each interval), bring a copy of the intervals, and find a bike! (*Note: This interval workout is instructed on a manual spin bike, not the electronic ones. Also, make sure you know how to adjust your seat and handles properly before starting.)
- Warm-Up: Base Speed, Mr. Saxobeat- Alexandra Stan
- Medium Resistance: Increase your resistance until its medium-hard. One More Night- Maroon 5
- Sprint (Flat-Medium): Start at your base speed and during every chorus sprint as fast as possible, then increase the resistance. Call On Me- Eric Prydz
- Speed Interval/Climb: I Cry- Flo Rida (at 00:48 seconds during the hook, increase your resistance, and sprint once the chorus begins. After chorus, slow your pace but increase resistance and repeat. Continue until the end of the song)
- Recovery: Base speed. Beggin- Madcon, (Increase resistance 2:00 min into the song)
- Climb (In/Out of saddle): Feel It- Three 6 Mafia (00:22 seconds come out of the saddle through chorus, then increase resistance. Repeat until resistance is extremely hard. Try to match your pace with the beat of the song.
- Sprints (In/Out of Saddle): Base speed. Run- Flo Rida (ride out of the saddle during every chorus)
- Climb: Shut It Down- Pitbull (Every 30 seconds increase resistance)
- Recovery: Base Speed. Just Can’t Get Enough- Black Eyed Peas
- Speed Intervals/Climb: Gangnam Style- PSY (sprint at chorus, increase resistance after every chorus, repeat)
- Race Sprints: Blow- Ke$ha (sprint during every chorus)
- Medium Resistance (In/Out of saddle): Starships- Nicki Minaj (Climb out of the saddle during 00:38-1:24, 1:55-2:40, spring 3:11-END)
- Cool Down: Base Speed. Whistle- Flo Rida
There you have it! Be sure to stretch after this spin interval workout, your legs will thank you afterwards! *Note: If you’re going to train with weights, avoid doing this interval on a leg day!
Elizabeth Brown, most often referred to as Liz, is a 23-year-old California girl, born and raised in the suburbs of the Bay Area. She is a health and fitness enthusiast as well as a Certified Personal Trainer with the National Academy of Sports Medicine. Liz is a full-time student studying at San Francisco State University earning her Bachelors of Science degree in Kinesiology. Her journey in fitness began when she won Bodybuilding.com’s 2012 Fit USA Competition and placed 2nd at the 2012 NPC Bikini Championships as a fitness competitor. From there, she aspires to earn her Pro Card in the IFBB as a Bikini Competitor. Her hobbies include anything and everything related to being outdoors; you name it, she loves it! This workout junkie and fitness foodie is on a mission to inspire and motivate others to become the best versions of themselves they can be!