Competition season may be over for me, but training for the next season keeps on going. After consulting with a couple of the NPC judges and gathering their feedback, I now have new fitness goals to work towards before stepping on stage again. I have a lower-body dominant physique and I need to bring up overall muscle mass in my upper-body to create the symmetrical bikini body if I plan to succeed as a fitness competitor. In response to the feedback I received, I have put together this push and pull upper-body workout to help develop my weaker, under-developed muscle groups. If you’re like me at all or just want to build up your upper-body more, this upper body annihilator workout will unquestionably do it.
It looks like a lot at first, but it should only take you an hour to complete. Perform each exercise with proper tempo and control. When you’re lifting the weight (positive), this should be done as fast and controlled as possible to engage the muscle fibers. Then slowly lower the weight with control back to starting position (negative). Focus on keeping your core tight throughout the entire workout and rest one minute in between each exercise. Go heavy on the weights for this one. It’s time to build that Beastly upper body! Beware, by time you’re finished with this upper-body workout you won’t be able to pull your hair up into a pony tail very easily ladies.
Cardio: Warm up for five minutes on the treadmill - (12 sets) Walk for one minute, sprint for 40 seconds. I always start off with a quick cardio session to get my muscles warmed up and the blood pumping.
Warm up: Chin-ups - 3 sets x 15 reps
- Barbell Incline Bench Press - 3 sets x 10 reps
- Lat Pull Downs - 3 sets x 10 reps)
- Incline Dumbell Flyes - 3 sets x 10 reps
- Seated Cable Rows - 3 sets x 10 reps
- Two-second Controlled Pushups - 3 sets x 15 reps
- Dumbbell Curls - 3 sets x 10 reps
- Tricep Dumbbell Kickbacks - 3 sets x 10 reps
- Standing Dumbbell Shoulder Press - 3 sets x 10 reps
- Overhead Dumbbell Triceps Extensions - 3 sets x 10 reps
- Cable Triceps Pushdowns - at least 20 reps
- Cable Hammer Curls - at least 20 reps
- Standing Cable Twists - 3 sets x 20 reps
- Cable Crunches - 3 sets x 20 reps
- Hanging Leg Raises - 3 sets x 20 reps
For more great arm and shoulder workout ideas from myself and other Beast Athletes, click here.