Using food is an ideal way to bring your family together, especially if it tastes good and is considered healthy! One of my favorite two foods to indulge in during this time of the year are sweet potatoes and stuffed mushrooms. With this recipe, not only will you combine both flavors together, but you will fill the air with aromatic nostalgia making your relatives rush toward the kitchen with this healthy recipe for Sweet Potato and Quinoa Stuffed Mushroom Caps.
- 6 portobello mushroom caps, whole
- 2 cups cooked quinoa, red or white (prepared according to package directions)
- 4 sweet potatoes, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups greens (spinach or kale work well)
- Salt and pepper
**Cook sweet potatoes and wilt spinach 1st
Now the mixing!
- Pre-heat oven to 450
- Add sweet potatoes to an oil, salt, and pepper mixture on a baking sheet. Bake for 30-40 minutes, flipping halfway through
- Just before the 40 minutes are up, throw the spinach on top of the sweet potatoes and place back in oven for about 2-3 minutes
- Remove the pan and let the veggies cool.
- After it is cooled, in a medium bowl, mix quinoa, sweet potatoes, and greens. Add salt and pepper based on taste and set aside to be used for filling mushroom caps
- Gently clean the mushroom caps with a damp paper towel
- Brush both sides of mushrooms with olive oil, and place smooth-side down on the baking sheet
- Spoon the quinoa and sweet potato mixture into the caps, mounding slightly in the center
- Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper (if you need to) , and bake at 400 for 20-30 minutes.
And ENJOY this healthy recipe
to an old fashioned appetizer.