Cardio... I’m not a fan. The thought of having to go to the gym to get on a stair stepper or elliptical machine just bores me and I know I’m not alone. I hear it almost every day, cardio sucks, but here are some ways to refresh your cardio routine, and have fun getting your cardio-sweat on.
- Gyms offer free additional classes with memberships, so don’t be afraid to try a couple. Some of my favorites are:
- Nature alone can be a great distraction.
Run with a friend or workout buddy and get competitive
- Explore and run trails around your area
- Jog out on the beach
- Take it back to high school, literally! Go to a high school and use their track
- 40 yard dash
- Side shuffles
- Cone drills
- One of my favorites for cardio days. Here’s one to try:
- 1 min jump rope
- 15 squat jumps
- 30 second high knees
- 30 second wall sit
- 20 cross body mountain climbers
- 1 min rest
When it comes to training, don’t restrict yourself, just get up and move! Remember the definition of cardio is any exercise that raises your heart rate. The longer you do cardio doesn’t always mean better, and it doesn’t have to be on a standard cardio machine, but don’t forget an important element to burning fat and that’s doing cardio at your target heart rate. My favorite formula is the karvonen heart rate formula. Calculate it at 60%-70% intensity.